httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: Survey information...and names for Apache
Date Fri, 01 Dec 1995 11:23:39 GMT

> A small fly in the ointment - how do the US participants submit patches to
> Apache once it has been cryptified? Presumably this is illegal (or at least
> some patches will be)?
>
> Perhaps the way to go is to make it possible for Apache-SSL to be a proper
> module instead of a monster patch (which can probably be done without
> explicitly inserting crypto hooks - its more a matter of abstracting the
> idea of a "connection" a little).
>
> Then the main Apache could be worked on by anyone, and only the SSL module
> would have to reside outside the US.

Hmm, well what exactly is exportation anyway? Software is a little tricky
since it's not a physical commodity, if I work in the US and when I come
home I implement those ideas then is that exportation?

More appropriately, if I have an account on a US site and I read the code
and then I type it in on my home box, is that exportation :-)

The "official" FreeBSD security site is in S. Africa but the US folks
frequently update the US copy of the security code and then the S. Africa
guys make "exactly the same changes" to their copy. They DO NOT export the
actual US code, they just make exactly the same changes to their copy.

I think you get the point.

--
  Paul Richards. Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)