httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Survey information...and names for Apache
Date Fri, 01 Dec 1995 10:14:59 GMT
Andrew Wilson wrote:

> Ben:
> > A small fly in the ointment - how do the US participants submit patches to
> > Apache once it has been cryptified? Presumably this is illegal (or at least
> > some patches will be)?
> >
> > Perhaps the way to go is to make it possible for Apache-SSL to be a proper
> > module instead of a monster patch (which can probably be done without
> > explicitly inserting crypto hooks - its more a matter of abstracting the
> > idea of a "connection" a little).
> >
> > Then the main Apache could be worked on by anyone, and only the SSL module
> > would have to reside outside the US.
>
> *this* is the reason we suggested that it'd be best to keep
> SSL-specific code out of the original distribution.  It is *still*
> vital that we do this.

Agreed 100%. I for one would be very, very upset if we and others in the
US were blocked from using/running/working on Apache simply because
some people decided to use it as a framework for a SSL-server and, in effect,
took it over.

I think the SSL capability is great and I wish I could use it, but I don't
want to loose being able to run/use Apache in the future because of it.
Isn't that the reason why most people switched over to Apache (from NCSA);
so they _knew_ they had a server they could stay with for a long time?
--
Jim Jagielski  << jim@jaguNET.com >>   |           "Wind the frog!"
  **  jaguNET Access Services  **      |       - Woody (from Toy Story)