httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@hotwired.com>
Subject Re: Number of Virtual Servers
Date Thu, 14 Dec 1995 20:50:20 GMT
In message <199512142020.MAA27531@infinity.c2.org>, sameer writes:
>	It is, yes, but I fear the performance hit. For *every* hit on
>the web server you'll then have an open/write/close, rather than just
>a write..

You can cache open log handles.  Have a configuration directive
LogCacheSize, and a way to seed the cache in the parent httpd.  Then the
children just close something when they need a different handle.

Or use a single pipe() to a child which bursts up the logs.  But children
have a tendancy of dying prematurely.  This can more or less be done
already using | logs, but those still start up a task for each directive.
It has the advantage of real-time bursting... something I always find
useful.

Dean