httpd-dev mailing list archives

From d...@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)
Subject Re: Binary Release of 1.0
Date Thu, 30 Nov 1995 15:16:00 GMT
>David's plan looks good with exception that I think we could
>get the binary releases ready to go in short amount of time.
>I'm going to take the ball on this one...

Give it a go, but the source won't wait for you...

>The plan:
>
>1. Agree on the following module list.
See below

>2. Acknowledge that you agree
>3. Acknowledge that you have received my announcement to grab the
>   latest source, (*after* I announce it)

Suggestion; if the binary distributions didn't include source, but only
contained the executable (and a README & LICENSE), then you wouldn't have
to worry about getting the most uptodate source tar file; you'd only
need the most uptodate src/ code.

Whereas if you include the entire distribtion with the binary, these
distributions will have to be repackaged every time the documentation,
conf.dist files or support files are changed.

>4. Compile and submit your binaries with the following modules
>   included. (nothing omitted, nothing extra)
>
>Can we make this work? :-) <-- note smile

MODULES = mod_mime.o mod_access.o mod_alias.o mod_cgi.o mod_include.o \
        mod_dir.o mod_auth.o mod_auth_dbm.o mod_negotiation.o mod_userdir.o \
        mod_log_common.o mod_asis.o mod_imap.o mod_log_agent.o \
        mod_log_referer.o mod_cookies.o

The manual documents the modules as follows (based on the default
Configuration file)

Standard modules, compiled in by default (status `Base'):
mod_access, mod_alias, mod_asis, mod_auth, mod_cgi, mod_dir, mod_imap
mod_include, mod_log_common, mod_mime, mod_negotiation, mod_userdir

Extension modules, not compiled in by default:

module          Status         Comments
------          ------         --------
mod_auth_dbm    Extension      Needs dbm library which may not be available
mod_cookies     Experimental   No documentation
mod_dld         Experimental   Tricky stuff
mod_log_agent   Extension      NCSA compatibility only
mod_log_config  Experimental   Changeable
mod_log_referer Extension      NCSA compatibility only

I do not think you should include the experimental modules.
There is a good case for including mod_auth_dbm, for precisely the reason
it isn't switched on by default; it may be difficult for the user to compile.
But if you use optional libraries for this, make sure you don't use
a shared library version of libndbm!

 David.