httpd-dev mailing list archives

From d...@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)
Subject Re: local redirects
Date Fri, 03 Nov 1995 12:12:00 GMT
Rob wrote:
>What I think apache should be doing is..
>
>  if a "Location:" header is seen (alone or with other headers), and the
>destination starts with a "/", then do a local redirect to it... nothing
>more elaborate than that.

I think your recollection is wrong. What I wrote in my CGI specification
(based on NCSA 1.3 and Apache 0.6) was:

Location
   This is used to specify to the server that the script is returning a
   reference to a document rather than an actual document.
   The location value is either an absolute URI with optional fragment, as
   defined in RFC 1630 [1], or an absolute path and optional query-string. If
   an absolute URI is returned by the script, then the server will generate a
   redirect HTTP response message ... If the Location value is a path, then
   the server will generate the response that it would have produced in
   response to a request containing the URI

      protocol "://" SERVER_NAME ":" SERVER_PORT rel-URL-abs-path

Status
   The Status header is used to indicate to the server what status code it
   should use in the response message. It should not be sent if the script
   returns a Location header.

>The reason this is now an issue is that a user tried to do a local
>redirect from an asis file, but couldn't.

Did internal redirects from an asis file ever work? (It doesn't now.)

 David.