httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <>
Subject Re: two undocumented incompatibilities between 0.8.14 and 0.6.? (fwd)
Date Sun, 19 Nov 1995 05:54:03 GMT
> > No problems were found at the time.  The configuration files weren't changed.
> > We are still using an OldScriptAlias for one of our services.
>                         ==============

Interesting - this is something that came in with NCSA's httpd 1.0, and
its format isn't documented anywhere, and you're the first to complain
:)  I'll add it to the online docs saying it was removed, though I don't
know if we'll support it (and for the 1.0 concious developers, I'm not
calling it showstopping! :)

> > A second problem is that we're getting more slashes in our URLs than we used to.
> > Redirections I haven't asked for are automatically being sent by the server.
> > Again, 0.6.5 didn't have this problem.
> >
> > In srm/CHANGES there are some on hints on why this could be caused;
> > I'll investigate the problem in detail if you want me to.  Please mention
> > this in your compatibility list, for it is very annoying.  (Lots of URLs
> > no longer work and I don't know how to fix it reliably.)

There have indeed been a *lot* of changes, mostly because this is very
subtle stuff and NCSA's httpd had quite a few, er, implementation quirks
that made developing a solid model for translating URL's to file
resources rather difficult.  The best we can say is try 0.8.16, if that
doesn't work we have some patches we can give you for some /-related
problems, if that doesn't work give me some examples and I'll help track
it down.

View raw message