httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject commercial support for apache
Date Tue, 07 Nov 1995 06:11:14 GMT

Not to break the bug-squishing conversations, but it occured to me that
something which could help "legitimize" Apache in the eyes of
commercial/large users, or even encourage companies to support apache by
dedicating engineer time to it, would be to establish a list of companies
who are willing to provide commercial support for apache.  "Support"
being defined as a time-based contract for timely answers to installation
questions, operation questions, perhaps even handling bug reports, with
the expectation that at least one member from each company would become
Apache developer group members.  This would fit into the business model of
companies like Cygnus.  The list of companies would be a simple database
- perhaps with CGI-scripted rotating listing order.  Anyways, it would
add horsepower to the debugging process and free us up to focus on new
functionality.  This is not to replace making the documentation on the
home pages first-rate - in fact it's in these company's interests to have
good documentation on the site.

So, anyone mind if I draft this and send it to various newsgroups?

	Brian