httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Thoughts on userdir
Date Wed, 22 Nov 1995 05:46:10 GMT
On Mon, 20 Nov 1995, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Hmmm ... this also touches on a future aliasing module. I'd like to be able
> to alias a/*/b to c/d/*, for instance, or even more general stuff. It would
> be good if the notation for UserDir were compatible with the notation for
> aliases.

Good point. Hmm. But * implies wildcard matching, since that's what it's
used for in most of the Unix world, and indeed in your alias example. But
in userdir, it isn't really matching anything, it's replacing it with the
username... I'm not sure * is the right character to use here. So I guess
that's the question. What is the right character... hitting shift and my
number keys, I get !@#$%^&*(). I suppose one of them. Or maybe ~, since
that's usually associated with user's home directories. No, that could
get *really* confusing, now, couldn't it... Hmm.

Any thoughts?