httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: binary build question
Date Mon, 20 Nov 1995 13:00:57 GMT

> What do people feel about this addition to the document about binary
> builds:
>
> <B>Compiling:</B> The GNU C compiler (gcc) should be used whenever possible,
> and with the -g flag set, so that we can ask people using binaries to provide
> a backtrace if a coredump occurs.

Hmmm, I get the impression that this statement would be aimed at people
who don't really know their way around unix/C enough to run the debugger.
It might just prove to be one more thing to confuse the hell out of
a newbie.

Also, I think that if people have good compiler installations they
shouldn't be persuaded to use gcc instead. By all means recommend gcc,
but don't make it sound like it should be used in preference to the
native CC. Since installing the HP compiler, I've stopped using gcc,
and have fewer problems compiling applications.

Just some opinions.

rob