httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Dirk.vanGulik" <>
Subject Re: another idea
Date Mon, 20 Nov 1995 08:27:34 GMT
>   C) Has an easier to use API (not that the netscape API is less powerful, but
>   the netscape docs make it difficult to learn the API, but the apache
>   source makes it real easy to learn the API.)
> I guess it's "be fair to Netscape, folx" time again... the Netscape
> server may not ship with full source, but they do supply some NSAPI
> loggers, etc., which are intended to be used as examples; you can also
> find a few in the server tech notes section on the Netscape web site.
> Granted, learning the Netscape API from the docs would be tough, but
> the docs aren't all you have.

No, really easy !

> (The thing I do wonder about wrt the Netscape API is how easy it is to
> *configure* an extension --- including per-directory configuration,
> where applicable.  That's not to say that it's easier with Apache,
> just that I simply don't know).

Not much differnce there; took me the best part of an hour to get into
it and recompile my Msql and anonymous access modules; written for
apache, into the netscape API. Most time was taken up by working out
how this dynamic linking worked. Lets be honest here, that API is cute,
looks and smells a lot like apache modules; and I can only see it as
a lovely trick to give apache like modules without sending out the source.

View raw message