httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ga...@main.slink.com (Garey Smiley)
Subject Re: OS/2 Notes.
Date Sun, 19 Nov 1995 13:56:04 GMT
On Sun, 19 Nov 1995 17:54:11 +0000 (GMT) you wrote:

>> Add "htm" to "text/html" in the default mime.types. May OS/2 users are
>> using Apache to replace a product called OS2HTTPD (a port of NCSA 1.3)
>> that defaulted to requiring "htm" extension not "html."
>
>What's wrong with AddType in srm.conf?  There's an example there already.

Either would work the mime.types seemed the better place to me.

>> Add some links from the Apache home pages to the Apache for OS/2 pages
>> (http://www.slink.com/ApacheOS2/). Just to let people know the OS/2
>> version exists. If you get a chance please take a look at these pages
>> and let me know what you think.
>
>Mmm, nice logo.  The logo refers explicitly to the 'Apache HTTP Server
>Project' and to the untutored eye this looks like the authoratative
>home-page for the whole project.
>
>I'd argue that the logo should *only* be used on the www.apache.org
>home page, and that some different image should be used...
>
>	http://www.apache.org/images/apache_sub.gif
>
>...perhaps?

If this group can give me some sort of guide I'll be happy to complie.

>The OS/2 page duplicates some aspects of the www.apache.org homepage.
>
>	[
>	the official Apache Project site maintains the following
>	information.
>
>         Background Information
>         Server Documentation
>         Project Library
>         The Apache FAQ
>         Apache Project Contributors
>
>	and is mirrored in Austria, Australia, Poland, and the Czech
>	Republic.
>	]
>
>Again I think it's best to replace that with a link to the www.apache.org
>homepage rather than attempt to provide a summary.  You then don't need to
>waste any time updating your page set when the www.apache.org page set
>changes.

Several links to the http://www.apache.org/ exist. The summary was
mostly to let peolpe know that they should look to that site for more
detailed information.

>I think there should be a link from the www.apache.org page set to the
>OS/2 port information.  Where to put it is a separate question.
>
>	[see following post...]
>
>> Come up with some default documents to distribute with Apache. This
>> way beginners will have some documents to startout with and when we
>> are trying to diagnose their problems we know they have valid html
>> files. The documentation at apache.org would be an easy solution.
>
>Do you mean 'local' documentation (something to read if they're
>not connected to the net, perhaps served through your home webserver), or
>a fake document set forming part of an acceptance test suite - to be
>sure that your newly installed system is working properly.

I think including a docs directory with a default index.html file that
welcomes them to using Apache plus a link to a docs/apachedocs
directory that contains the apache documentation. A test suite could
probably come latter.

>> If and/or when we start working on forms and scripts to automate the
>> configuration of Apache write the scripts in perl. OS/2 has ports of
>> both perl 4 and 5. I would also like to volunteer to work on this.
>
>Feel free I guess ;)  NCSA are working on some kind of forms
>configuration doo-dah already I understand.  Can you steal stuff
>from them if it's useful ;)  It might be worth making a plea to likeminded
>people on the c.i.w.foo lists, I'm sure someone's already done the work.
>If you download the Netsite server (for a 60 day trial) you can get some
>clues from the interface that comes with their system.

Thanks for the info I'll take a look at Netsite.

Garey Smiley
SoftLink Services
garey@slink.com
http://www.slink.com/