httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Apache-SSL, wider distribution
Date Fri, 10 Nov 1995 00:42:05 GMT

> > Conditions of use for Apache-SSL:
> >
> > In order to comply with UK export restrictions, I must be satisfied that the
> > end-user of this software complies with the following restrictions:
> >
> > 1. The software will not be used, in whole or in part, in connection with the
> > development, production, handling, operation, maintenance, storage, detection,
> > identification or dissemination of chemical, biological or nuclear weapons or
> > the development, production, maintenance or storage of missiles capable of
> > delivering such weapons.
>

> > a) is not in the above list of countries.
>
> 	I am in the US.
>

> > b) assures me that they will not be using the software for the above prohibited
> > purposes.
>
> 	I will not develop, produce, handle, operate, maintain, store,
> detect, indentify, nor disseminate chemical, biological or nuclear
> weapons with the Apache/SSL software. I will not develop, produce,
> maintain, nor store missles capable of delivering such weapons with
> the Apache/SSL software.
>

> > c) tells me what they will be using the software for.
>
> 	I will use the software to run encrypting web servers within
> the United States. I will distribute the software within the United
> States, with some customizations.
>

> > d) gives me a list of sites they intend to run the software on.
>
> 	www.c2.org, initially.
>

> > e) explains their policy with regard to redistribution of the software, and the
> > enforcement of the above rules.
>
> 	I plan on redistributing only to US persons. Initially I will
> require that sites I redistribute to be non-commercial, until whcih
> time I purchase a liscense for the commercial use of RSAREF, when I
> will be able to distribute to both commericl and non-commercial sites.

To make me legal, you must enforce the end-user restrictions. Can you do that?
That is, you must pass on these restrictions in your redistribution. By
enforce, I mean that you must convince me that you will take reasonable steps
to ensure that they will be complied with. Note that this is legalese, but it
seems to be the legalese I have to deal with.

Cheers,

Ben.

P.S. How's the patch holding up?

> > Note that I do have to be convinced by the answers!
> >
> > There is an onus on me to make all reasonable enquiries. I believe that the
> > list above is reasonable given the nature of the software and the Internet. If
> > anyone has any suggestions, I would be only too pleased to hear them.
> >

> > --
> > Ben Laurie                  Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435
> > Freelance Consultant        Fax:   +44 (181) 994 6472
> > and Technical Director      Email: ben@algroup.co.uk
> > A.L. Digital Ltd,
> > London, England.
> >

> --
> sameer						Voice:   510-601-9777
> Community ConneXion				FAX:     510-601-9734
> The Internet Privacy Provider			Dialin:  510-658-6376
> http://www.c2.org (or login as "guest")			sameer@c2.org

A.L. Digital Ltd,
London, England.