httpd-dev mailing list archives

From sameer <sam...@c2.org>
Subject Re: Survey information...and names for Apache
Date Fri, 01 Dec 1995 00:15:25 GMT

> Does that mean that a site in country X can be nominated as the
> "primary" site and then hyperreal's /dist directory would mirror
> the sources/binaries from X?

	Yes.

> If that's all there is to it, then it's a pain but trivial.
>
> I guess the trick is to not export the sensitive code out of the US
> to X. So future builds would need to be made outside of the USA?.

	Yes. I think that it would be wise to use
ftp.c2.org:/pub/README.US-only style restrictions then on the dist
directory within the US, and point to the outside-US sites for people
who end up outside the US.

> If you already have portable patches, then this sounds easy.

	As far as I know, Ben's patches for the os_conn stuff work on
every platform.

> Okay lets make plans post-1.0
>

> If we can distribute Apache with SSL, while staying within the stupid
> rules, it's one more nail in the coffin of the stupid rule makers. Let's
> go for it.

	Note that none of the above is the advice of a lawyer or the
state dept. I'm just a cypherpunk who's been doing this crypto and
ITAR stuff for a few years now. The rules are arbitrary and
confusing. I would not be surprised if this did not bring the Apache
Group some NSA inquiries. It may be wise not to use hyperreal at all,
for safety. (I would actually be surprised if this didn't bring about
inquiries.)

	*BUT*, I think the fact that Apache is not developed by any
single entity that can be threatened is a major plus. The NSA can't go
to the Apache Group like they can to any other company and say "if you
don't listen to us we won't let you do XXX", because the Apache Group
does not *really* exist as a legal person, like a Corporation does.

--
sameer						Voice:   510-601-9777
Community ConneXion				FAX:     510-601-9734