httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: Survey information...and names for Apache
Date Thu, 30 Nov 1995 16:59:34 GMT

> 	In order for SSL hooks in Apache to be official I think the
> following is necessary:
>
> A) Primary Apache ftp site is outside the US

Does that mean that a site in country X can be nominated as the
"primary" site and then hyperreal's /dist directory would mirror
the sources/binaries from X?

If that's all there is to it, then it's a pain but trivial.

I guess the trick is to not export the sensitive code out of the US
to X. So future builds would need to be made outside of the USA?.

> B) Warnings that commercial use of the SSL hooks are illegal within the US

Warnings are easy to write.

> C) Changes to apache to support os_conn * rather than FILE *, by default.

If you already have portable patches, then this sounds easy.

> D) More limitations on redistribution (no nuclear weapons use,
> basically, as outlined by Ben's distribution rules.)

a pain, but not difficult.

> > It seems silly to splinter Apache into "related projects" if there's
> > no real reason to do so.
> 	I agree.

Okay lets make plans post-1.0

If we can distribute Apache with SSL, while staying within the stupid
rules, it's one more nail in the coffin of the stupid rule makers. Let's
go for it.

rob