httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: fairy nuff
Date Thu, 30 Nov 1995 11:48:23 GMT

> 72% vmstat
>  procs   memory     page                         faults      cpu
>  r b w   avm   fre  flt  re  pi  po  fr  sr s0   in   sy  cs us sy id
>  0 0 0 21896  3780  132  15   7   0    0   0 1   258 194 110  4 11 85
>
> As you can see, we're not thrashing or low on memory. The machine has 32
> Mb RAM currently and soon will go to 48.

This has always confused me....

Where it says "avm", and the manpage describes this as "Active Virtual
Memory", doesn't this mean that VM is being used and thus you don't
have enough memory?

When I use vmstat under SunOs (32Mb) on a busy machine avm=0
                        HPUX  (64Mb)      quiet        avm>0

Which confuses the hell out of me 'cos the HP machine has more memory
and is idle when I do the test.

So, how should one read vmstat output?

The HP avm went down after reconfiguring the buffer cache (which is
incorrectly configured as standard under HPUX).