httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aram Mirzadeh <...@qosina.com>
Subject Re: binary build question
Date Mon, 20 Nov 1995 22:07:11 GMT

> On Mon, 20 Nov 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> > > What do people feel about this addition to the document about binary
> > > builds:
> > >
> > > <B>Compiling:</B> The GNU C compiler (gcc) should be used whenever
possible,
> > > and with the -g flag set, so that we can ask people using binaries to provide
> > > a backtrace if a coredump occurs.
> >
> > Hmmm, I get the impression that this statement would be aimed at people
> > who don't really know their way around unix/C enough to run the debugger.
> > It might just prove to be one more thing to confuse the hell out of
> > a newbie.
>
> Hmm, it's also probably reasonable to presume that someone without gcc is
> also likely to be without a gdb too :)  The performance penalty in that
> case might not be worth it then.. can I get one or two more opinions on
> the subject?

Also this brings up the subject of how much we trust our software.  Do we
expect to have core dumps?  I doubt we're going to get many coredumps, rather
annoying seutp questions, or misconfigurations.

Also, if who eer is looking for a binary disterbution.  I doubt they would have any idea on
how to do a backtrace.

<Aram>