httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew <>
Subject Re: OS/2 Notes.
Date Sun, 19 Nov 1995 17:54:11 GMT
> Hi All,
> 	How about looking over the following comments.
> Add "htm" to "text/html" in the default mime.types. May OS/2 users are
> using Apache to replace a product called OS2HTTPD (a port of NCSA 1.3)
> that defaulted to requiring "htm" extension not "html."

What's wrong with AddType in srm.conf?  There's an example there already.

> Add some links from the Apache home pages to the Apache for OS/2 pages
> ( Just to let people know the OS/2
> version exists. If you get a chance please take a look at these pages
> and let me know what you think.

Mmm, nice logo.  The logo refers explicitly to the 'Apache HTTP Server
Project' and to the untutored eye this looks like the authoratative
home-page for the whole project.

I'd argue that the logo should *only* be used on the
home page, and that some different image should be used...

The OS/2 page duplicates some aspects of the homepage.

	the official Apache Project site maintains the following

         Background Information
         Server Documentation
         Project Library
         The Apache FAQ
         Apache Project Contributors

	and is mirrored in Austria, Australia, Poland, and the Czech

Again I think it's best to replace that with a link to the
homepage rather than attempt to provide a summary.  You then don't need to
waste any time updating your page set when the page set

I think there should be a link from the page set to the
OS/2 port information.  Where to put it is a separate question.

	[see following post...]

> Come up with some default documents to distribute with Apache. This
> way beginners will have some documents to startout with and when we
> are trying to diagnose their problems we know they have valid html
> files. The documentation at would be an easy solution.

Do you mean 'local' documentation (something to read if they're
not connected to the net, perhaps served through your home webserver), or
a fake document set forming part of an acceptance test suite - to be
sure that your newly installed system is working properly.

> If and/or when we start working on forms and scripts to automate the
> configuration of Apache write the scripts in perl. OS/2 has ports of
> both perl 4 and 5. I would also like to volunteer to work on this.

Feel free I guess ;)  NCSA are working on some kind of forms
configuration doo-dah already I understand.  Can you steal stuff
from them if it's useful ;)  It might be worth making a plea to likeminded
people on the lists, I'm sure someone's already done the work.
If you download the Netsite server (for a 60 day trial) you can get some
clues from the interface that comes with their system.

> Garey Smiley

View raw message