httpd-dev mailing list archives

From d...@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)
Subject Re: Bug with Apache 8.1.14 (fwd)
Date Mon, 30 Oct 1995 15:52:00 GMT
> Date: Tue, 24 Oct 95 22:33:32 0400
> From: "Mark J. Lilback" <mlilback@intr.net>
> Subject: Bug with Apache 8.1.14
>
> I'm working on upgrading from .65 to .8.14 and am running in to what
> appears to be a problem with Virtual Servers. We've got 14 virtual
> servers running, and I've set a RefererLog and AgentLog in 13 of them.
>
> The problem is that when I try to start the server, I get the error
> message
>
> "# httpd: could not log pid to file /www/servers/apache/logs/httpd.pid"
>
> When I comment out the last RefererLog command in httpd.conf, it starts
> fine. I've tried putting the entry with no RefererLog last, and it makes
> no difference. And it's not the last one listed because it works no
> matter which virtual server's RefererLog I comment out -- as long as one
> of them is commented, it starts fine.
>
> Heard of this? Is there something stupid I'm missing?

This patch should help diagnose the problem; can folks vote on it please?

38_pid.0.8.15.patch
  Subject: Add error message when cannot open pidfile
  Affects: mod_auth.c
  ChangeLog: Report the errno when the pidfile cannot be opened.
  Comments: There have been two reports of apache dying with 'could not log pid
            to file'. This should help diagnose the problem.

*** http_log.c.orig	Tue Oct 10 23:03:31 1995
--- http_log.c	Mon Oct 30 15:43:43 1995
*** 108,113 ****
--- 108,114 ----
      if (!pid_fname) return;
      pid_fname = server_root_relative (p, pid_fname);
      if(!(pid_file = fopen(pid_fname,"w"))) {
+ 	perror("fopen");
          fprintf(stderr,"httpd: could not log pid to file %s\n", pid_fname);
          exit(1);
      }