httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <>
Subject Re: Java back ends (fwd)
Date Sun, 15 Oct 1995 01:52:46 GMT

Notes on the java web server....

--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--  http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 11:31:17 +0800
From: James Gosling <>
To: applix!
Subject: Re: Java back ends

> Ok, so Java can do all this neat stuff on the front end.  But it's still
> going to need to hook up to a server, and that looks like standard issue
> tcp/ip, not exactly the stuff of 4GL's.  Does anybody know if there are
> plans to wrapper these calls?  Also, is there anything like a a server
> toolkit for listening to java clients?

There is an implementation of CORBA/IDL style distributed objects for
Java, but it hasn't been released yet.  Similarly, I put together an
http server in Java that does a bunch of funky stuff with downloading
code into the server (eg. "CGI-bin" scripts as methods; funky caching;
"agent"-like stuff, ...) but it's gotten kinda stalled because other stuff
has been taking up far to much time.  *sigh*  some day...

View raw message