httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: SSL (fwd)
Date Thu, 12 Oct 1995 17:56:13 GMT
On Thu, 12 Oct 1995, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> In message <9510121707.aa23684@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>, Ben Laurie writes:
> >It also seems that the legality of publishing it in the rest of the world is
> >not entirely clear.
>
> If crypto software is written outside the US it can be imported to the US.
> But once something is in the US it can't leave the US.  Since you're
> outside the US there aren't any huge problems -- it just means that the
> SSL code has to go in an export controlled area on apache.org, and it also
> needs to be available on a server outside the US.  I think if you dig
> around on www.eff.org you'll find the appropriate references.  There's
> more information on http://avalon.caltech.edu/~thanne/law.html.

I think he may be concerned about his country's laws as much as ours.
We're not the only paranoid country.  :)

Last time this came up, Paul mentioned that the FreeBSD group found that
South Africa was the (best? only?) place to put export-controlled stuff.
I don't want to put up an "export-controlled" directory on apache.org
because there's no way to ensure that (look at the reverse-DNS lookup?
yeah right!) and the feds will crack down eventually...

	Brian