httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "On HEAD Requests, Server does not return Content-Length" on OTHER:ANY, I guess
Date Sun, 08 Oct 1995 21:31:56 GMT
On Sun, 8 Oct 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> > Submitter: stamer@merlin.physik.uni-oldenburg.de
> > Operating system: OTHER:ANY, I guess, version:
> > Extra Modules used:
> > URL exhibiting problem: http://xxx.lanl.gov. http://www.apache.org
> >
> > Symptoms:
> > --
> > Normally on HEAD Requests, the server returns Content-Length of the document specified.
(as in then HTTP 1.0 specs).  try telnet www.ncsa.uiuc.edu 80      HEAD / HTTP/1.0   and telnet
www.apache.org 80     HEAD / HTTP/1.0   Some programs rely on this and want to know the document
length before getting it.  I just tested it again and tried telnet www.apache.org 80 GET /
HTTP/1.0   It seems that Apache does NOT return any  Content-Length at all !!!  Heinrich

> hi,
>
> My first thought is,
> how can a response with no content have a content length >0  ?
>
> This mail will go to the developers, who can ponder that thought.

According to
<URL:http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/draft-ietf-http-v10-spec-03.html#HEAD>

| The HEAD method is identical to GET except that the server must not
| return any Entity-Body in the response. The metainformation contained in
| the HTTP headers in response to a HEAD request should be identical to the
| information sent in response to a GET request. This method can be used for
| obtaining metainformation about the resource identified by the Request-URI
| without transferring the Entity-Body itself. This method is often used for
| testing hypertext links for validity, accessibility, and
| recent modification.

Looks like it should!

Also, if a HEAD is performed on a CGI script, should the server run the
script and only send the headers?  What if it is an nph script, is Apache
considered nonconformant then?

	Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/