httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: netscape beta
Date Mon, 09 Oct 1995 21:32:32 GMT
On Sat, 7 Oct 1995, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> Crikey!  What ever happened to "get it right the first time"?
> I wonder what happens when they access
>
>     http://www.apache.org
>
> (no trailing slash) -- probably a core dump.

Running a web "server" (really just a perl script that listens on port 80
and displays what it gets) on www.dal.net, and requesting the following
URLs with Netscape 2.0b1 for Macintosh, I get the following results:

http://www.dal.net/
Host: www.dal.net

http://www.dal.net
Host: www.dal.net

http://www/
Host: www

http://www
Host: www

http://www.dal.net:80/
Host: www.dal.net:80

http://www.dal.net:80
Host: www.dal.net:80

http://www:80/
Host: www:80

http://www:80
Host: www:80

Perhaps someone should kindly note to Netscape that this is not the
perferred behavior. I think. Although, I must note, up until a couple days
ago, http-wg still appeared to be debating the very same issues, so
perhaps Netscape will have changed it for 2.0b2 already?