httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <>
Subject Re: netscape beta
Date Mon, 09 Oct 1995 05:50:32 GMT
On Sun, 8 Oct 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:

> Do the Mac/Windoze versions recognise

I can't speak about the Windows version, but Netscape 2.0b1 for Macintosh
does "recognise" it... sorta. A .html.gz file I just tried resulted in a
dialog box with:

Warning: unrecognized encoding 'x-gzip'.

Then it displayed garbage (which I'm assuming is the compressed file) in
the window. So it doesn't *decode* it. But it knows it's there, and is
smart enough to tell the user.

x-compress results in the same thing, with x-gzip replaced with x-compress.

--/ Alexei Kosut <> /--------/ Lefler on IRC