httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: netscape beta
Date Sun, 08 Oct 1995 23:48:53 GMT
On Sun, 8 Oct 1995, Max Levchin wrote:

> > (FWIW, the test cases I'm using are the example applets from the Sun
> > pre-beta SDK docs --- I generally use "hangman" as my example, but I've
> > tried other, simpler ones and they also bomb out).
>
> Same problems. Solaris 2.4 version coredumps before anything happens with
> any Java applet.

Can someone tell me what the Java implementation (or mis-implementation)
in Netscape Navigator 2.0b1 has to do with the Apache HTTP Server please?
Aren't there other forums for this sort of thing? Not that I really mind,
but...

Now, as I see it, there are several things to note about Netscape 2.0b1
that are relevent to our work here, and I will note them. I have access
only to the Mac version, so everything I say is relavant to that
platform's Netscape Navigator, but I imagine it's applicable to all
three:

* It sends Connection: Keep-alive. However, I have no clue if it supports
it. Is there any way to test this? At any rate, this seems to have become
a de facto standard as of late, so maybe we should be supporting it.

* It sends a Host: header with every transaction. This is a good thing.
As I understand it, future versions of NCSA Mosaic will also send such a
thing. As I further understand it, future versions of NCSA httpd will
support receiving such a thing. I would submit Apache should be supporting
such a thing as well. Like virtual hosts. But different.

* One positive note with regards to content negotation: It seems no longer
sends Accept: */* when requesting inline images. Just the four image types
(all one one line, too). It sends the */* when requesting real documents,
though. So this is good.

Hmm. Probably some other things, but I can't think of them.