httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: uploaded 37_tilde_ok.0.8.15.patch
Date Tue, 31 Oct 1995 19:41:18 GMT
>>In any case, it is guaranteed to cause users to complain and muck up
>>a browser's history file.
>
> But if the browser does not equate %7E to ~ then it is broken. Do we know
> of any such broken software existing?

Ummm, all existing versions of Mosaic and Netscape?  Last time I checked,
the only software that did such canonicalization was MOMspider, the CERN
caching proxy, and Arena.  Clients don't do canonicalization unless they
have to, because there exist servers which only accept invalid URLs.

>From a philosophical perspective, the server should either always
treat "~" as an unsafe character or always treat it as an okay character.
Since we inherited the OKness from NCSA httpd (and don't even provide
an alternative to /~user), it isn't right for the server to munge it
into /%7euser.  In any case, "~" is safe on all systems except 7-bit-only
terminals located in Finland, and even there it will work unless someone
writes the URL on a napkin, carries it to another country where the same
scandinavian character is remapped to ISO-8859-1, and tries to type it
in again.

Don't you just love the rationale behind some standardization decisions?

.....Roy