httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: uploaded 37_tilde_ok.0.8.15.patch
Date Mon, 30 Oct 1995 21:44:39 GMT
>> One of the earlier releases that I didn't test on my server changed
>> the handling of patch escapes such that all FancyIndex URL paths
>> are escaped.  Unfortunately, Apache uses the "~" character for default
>> user directory prefixes.  The result is that Apache 0.8.15 is changing
>> the URL from /~user to /%7euser in a rather arbitrary fashion.
> Huh? I can't find code that does this via mod_dir anywhere? As far as I can
> see, mod_dir paths are always relative. How do I reproduce this problem?

mod_dir calls os_escape_path when it builds a fancy index.  To reproduce
the problem, create a ~user/public_html directory and test subdirectory,
put some files in the test subdirectory, turn on FancyIndexing, and go to

and look at the URLs generated by the fancy index.  For illustration,
select the Parent Directory anchor and you will be sent to

which is not what we want to happen.

> Besides, is this the correct way to fix the problem? What if the file really
> starts with a ~?

Makes no difference -- the client will not interpret the "~" character
any differently than "%7e", and that is all that matters here.  The correct
behavior (for Apache) is to treat "~" as a normal character.

View raw message