httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Apache-SSL license
Date Thu, 26 Oct 1995 18:14:05 GMT

> > Here's the license I intend to include in the Apache-SSL patches. This does
> > _not_ replace the existing license, it is in addition to it. If anyone has
> > any objects/suggestions, please let me know.
>
> >  * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
> >  *    software must display the following acknowledgment:
> >  *    "This product includes software developed by Ben Laurie
> >  *    for use in the Apache-SSL HTTP server project."
>
> [snippety]
>
> Mmm, Apache-SSL?  So it *is* an Apache Group project?  I'm not sure that
> we should set a precedent in allowing non-Apache group projects to bear the
> Apache name directly.  FreeSSL-HTTP using Apache might be a better designation.
> It's just a suggestion, but I think it's important, cuz one day we'll end up
> seeing MicrosoftApache v1.0 and then we won't have anyone to complain to suz
> we've already let non-Apache Group initiatives [yeah I know it's a grey area ;)]
> take our name.
>
> Just cuz we can't make it a trademark, dun't mean we can't honour it as one.

Well, I would hope that in a more enlightened age Apache-SSL could be
reintegrated with Apache. I also hope that the Apache Group will give me
permission to use the name. I note that the protected name is "Apache Server",
which I am not using.

Furthermore, if Microsoft want to use Apache why would we want to stop them?

> Whatcha think?
>
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Ben.
>
> Cheers,