httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wilson <and...@tees.elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: Apache-SSL license
Date Thu, 26 Oct 1995 17:14:18 GMT
> Here's the license I intend to include in the Apache-SSL patches. This does
> _not_ replace the existing license, it is in addition to it. If anyone has
> any objects/suggestions, please let me know.

>  * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
>  *    software must display the following acknowledgment:
>  *    "This product includes software developed by Ben Laurie
>  *    for use in the Apache-SSL HTTP server project."

[snippety]

Mmm, Apache-SSL?  So it *is* an Apache Group project?  I'm not sure that
we should set a precedent in allowing non-Apache group projects to bear the
Apache name directly.  FreeSSL-HTTP using Apache might be a better designation.
It's just a suggestion, but I think it's important, cuz one day we'll end up
seeing MicrosoftApache v1.0 and then we won't have anyone to complain to suz
we've already let non-Apache Group initiatives [yeah I know it's a grey area ;)]
take our name.

Just cuz we can't make it a trademark, dun't mean we can't honour it as one.

Whatcha think?

> Cheers,
>
> Ben.

Cheers,