httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: more preparation for 1.0
Date Tue, 24 Oct 1995 17:27:33 GMT

> At 04:53 PM 10/24/95 +0100, you wrote:
> >
> >I'm not sure what Desktop is, but SCO Unix and SCO Open Desktop (all flavours)
> >are essentially the same thing. However, there appear to be some old versions
> >out there. I've never heard of anyone running them. And, of course, there's the
> >new version, Release 5, which I have, but am not running. The relevant command
> >on SCO is uname -X, which produces something horrid like this:
> >
> >System = gonzo
> >Node = gonzo
> >Release = 3.2v4.2
>
> Geeesh! I have this version on a CD somewhere.... I've had the same
> CD for the past 2 years... they never upgraded to anything else?
> What's all the hopla then?

Its even older than that. SCO have this neat system. First you get a
5-year-out-of-date system, then you download 50 MB of patches over the
Internet, then you copy each patch to a floppy, then you install it. If you
can figure out which patches you need, that is. I'm not kidding. BTW, the docs
should probably note that patch NET382e is a very fine idea for SCO systems.
The original TCP/IP is more than a little broken. Still doesn't support IP
aliases, tho.

> >KernelID = 94/02/14
> >Machine = Pentium
> >BusType = ISA
> >Serial = FRO1234567
>
> Hmm... too  bad I don't have the activation key. :)

I took the precaution of changing the number   ;-)

> Ever try demo as the
> serial, and demo001 as the activation key?  Works wonders.

Nope, but I will!

> >Users = 16-user
> >OEM# = 0
> >Origin# = 1
> >NumCPU = 1
> >
> >The interesting part being "Release".
> >
> >BTW, the system which produced this output is sold as "SCO Open Server
> >Enterprise Edition 3.0" (did I forget to mention that Open Server is also the
> >same as Open Desktop?). Note the correlation between the name and the release
> >number (shurely some mishtake? - Ed).
>
> SCO?  Nah... never.
>
> <Aram>
> --
> Aram W. Mirzadeh, MIS Manager, Qosina Corporation
> http://www.qosina.com/~awm/, awm@qosina.com
> Apache httpd server team http://www.apache.org

A.L. Digital Ltd,
London, England.