httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Server push problem
Date Sat, 21 Oct 1995 15:46:19 GMT
>From c.i.w.s.u:

From: mg@obd.com
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Problem with server push and Apache
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 01:49:27 GMT

I am having trouble with server push using the Apache server.  The server does
not appear to pass the output of the cgi script until the script exits.  I have tried this
with both a perl script setting $| = 1 to force flushing of the output after each line
and a small C program using fflush() to flush the output buffer, and in both cases
the output of the script is received as a single burst of output instead of a steady
stream.  I have verified this by using telnet to connect to the http port and entering
a GET command.  As far as I can tell, the buffer is getting flushed because the
output appears as I expect when I use the program tee(1).

Is there some configuration magic necessary or something special to do with
the script to force the output to essentially be unbuffered by the server?

	Morris Goldstein (mg@obd.com)

--------------------------------------

This is of course, true - we buffer in great big lumps, and this will totally
stuff server push. Would anyone care to express views on these possibilities?

1. Don't buffer CGI output.

2. Recognise the MIME multipart header and look for the separator.

3. Add a timeout.

4. Do a combination of 2 & 3.

5. Do any of the above on a configuration file flag.

6. Declare server push to be a non-standard extension and ignore the problem.

Cheers,

Ben.

A.L. Digital Ltd,
London, England.