httpd-dev mailing list archives

From efr...@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Beth Frank)
Subject Re: SSL/Apache
Date Thu, 19 Oct 1995 23:42:27 GMT
> > 		Elizabeth(Beth) Frank
> Ben Laurie                  Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435

> > 3. The NSA has indicated that setting up an export restricted server
> > 	(like MIT's for Kerberos) is sufficient to comply with the
> > 	"due care" wording of US law to prevent export from the USA.
>
> Interesting concept. How do you set up an export restricted server?

In the USA, the export restricted server makes some use of information
contained in the name space (I think the .edu domain is limited to
the USA and Canada) and a list of OK sites.  So for example if you
are coming from a .com site, your site would have to be explicitly
listed in the approved site file maintained by the server administrator.
When you retrieve a file, a series of questions are presented that
ask about your situation and your willingness to abide by the export
restrictions.  A statement detailing the export restriction is presented
and then (finally) you actually ftp the file.

--
		Elizabeth(Beth) Frank
		NCSA Server Development Team