httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: SSL/Apache
Date Tue, 17 Oct 1995 19:02:05 GMT

> 	My apologies. I was unaware that any countries other than the
> US had export restrictions on crypto. Off the top of my head I can
> think of where there are non-restricted crypto sites:
>
> Australia
> Holland
> Finland
> Sweden
> Germany
> UK
>
> Actual sites:
> http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/ssl/
> http://www.brute.cl.cam.ac.uk/brute/
> http://psych.psy.uq.oz.au/~ftp/Crypto/
> ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/crypt
> ftp://utopia.hacktic.nl/pub/replay/{crypto,pgp,remailer}
> ftp://ftp.wildpark.com/pub/Crypto/SSL/

I may be being overly cautious, but the mere existence of these sites proves
nothing about the legality of them. Rumour has it that South Africa is safe.
Is export from the UK to SA safe?

I must add that I think the whole situation is completely stupid, but the
stakes, it seems, are high. I do not want to risk even appearing in court, let
alone 20 years in some prison, which would not seem an implausible penalty,
should the full force of the law descend.

Cheers,

Ben.

A.L. Digital Ltd,
London, England.