httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: SSL (fwd)
Date Thu, 12 Oct 1995 18:53:08 GMT

> On Thu, 12 Oct 1995, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > In message <9510121707.aa23684@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>, Ben Laurie writes:
> > >It also seems that the legality of publishing it in the rest of the world is
> > >not entirely clear.
> >
> > If crypto software is written outside the US it can be imported to the US.
> > But once something is in the US it can't leave the US.  Since you're
> > outside the US there aren't any huge problems -- it just means that the
> > SSL code has to go in an export controlled area on apache.org, and it also
> > needs to be available on a server outside the US.  I think if you dig
> > around on www.eff.org you'll find the appropriate references.  There's
> > more information on http://avalon.caltech.edu/~thanne/law.html.
>
> I think he may be concerned about his country's laws as much as ours.
> We're not the only paranoid country.  :)

As far as I'm aware there are no laws against it here. The snag is that
your laws have been known to reach the parts other laws don't reach.

> Last time this came up, Paul mentioned that the FreeBSD group found that
> South Africa was the (best? only?) place to put export-controlled stuff.
> I don't want to put up an "export-controlled" directory on apache.org
> because there's no way to ensure that (look at the reverse-DNS lookup?
> yeah right!) and the feds will crack down eventually...

And who will that disadvantage the most? Those who had legitimate access to
the export-controlled stuff. The whole situation would be hilarious if the
penalties weren't so severe.

> 	Brian

A.L. Digital Ltd,
London, England.