httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: SSL (fwd)
Date Thu, 12 Oct 1995 16:07:11 GMT

> someone mentioned they were working on SSL. Can you please
> respond to this user.

That was me. I'm actually looking at it right now. I'll contact him. There is,
of course, a problem, upon which I would love to hear anybody's advice/opinion.
SSL involves exactly the kind of encryption which causes problems between the
US and the rest of the world (encryption with friction, so to speak). If I
do this work, presumably someone in the US will have to duplicate it, and it
will forever have to remain as a set of patches. At least until the US
government wakes up to reality.

It also seems that the legality of publishing it in the rest of the world is
not entirely clear.

Ah, well.

> no ack sent

A.L. Digital Ltd,