httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ga...@main.slink.com (Garey Smiley)
Subject Re: OS/2 Review
Date Fri, 06 Oct 1995 17:21:14 GMT
On Fri, 6 Oct 95 11:28:44 BST you wrote:

>> Hi All,
>> 	Has anyone gotten the chance to look through my OS/2 port and
>> consider it for inclusion?
>
>I had a quick look this week.  How feasible do you think it'd be to maintain
>an OS2 jumbo-patch in parrallel with the Apache development - I mean in terms
>of your time.

Its not currently a problem since I'm using the code in a production
enviornment (my time is paid for). Why did you refer to it as a
jumbo-patch? My modifications where limited, except for mod_cgi.c and
their I mostly added support for OS/2 REXX scripts. PERL scripts also
work properly.

>To return to the OS2 question.
>
>1)	I think it's too early to include the OS2 modifications in the
>	Apache source.

Too early in what way. I've had Apache ported since 0.6.3, though it
may be to late to be included in release 1.0.

>2)	I think we *should* give promenence to the OS2 port, as a set of
>	patches against a stable version of the server, and with a view
>	to bringing them in to the distributed sources at a later date.
>	We stand to learn an awful lot about the basic design of Apache
>	by a close association with non-UNIX projects.

Currently the OS/2 Apache port is the fast public domain/shareware
HTTP server, and I will soon be benchmarking it against IBM's
commerical server.

>Does this seem fair?

SURE. Just let me know if you think and of my changes should be
rewritten to make supporting them easier.

Garey Smiley
SoftLink Services
garey@slink.com
http://www.slink.com/