httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Sanders <sand...@bsdi.com>
Subject Re: Patch go boom...
Date Wed, 11 Oct 1995 18:14:28 GMT
"Roy T. Fielding" writes:
> URL != File.  However, if by chance a particular URL == File and File is
> Why is it bad?  Because you can't index sites with infinite URLs.

I would very much like it if /index.html were illegal when / is
specified to be the the canonical form for that document (the
current aliasing problem is really a major pain).  I definitely
believe that a single document should have a single name.

In fact, I really wish there was an analog standard to `?' for
extra PATH_INFO so that clients could distinguish the document part
from their arguments (that would allow, among other things, browsers
to provide an interface for jumping back to "top" of an interface
without the user having to manually cut and paste the URL).