httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@alpha.netcraft.co.uk>
Subject WWW Form Bug Report: "Seems to ignore file modes even when not running as root" on FreeBSD (fwd)
Date Wed, 04 Oct 1995 14:18:06 GMT
Any ideas?

> From nobody@hyperreal.com Wed Oct  4 03:38:25 1995
> From: archie@tribe.com
> To: paul@FreeBSD.org
> Date: Tue Oct  3 19:38:52 1995
> Subject: WWW Form Bug Report: "Seems to ignore file modes even when not running as root"
on FreeBSD

> Submitter: archie@tribe.com
> Operating system: FreeBSD, version: 2.0.5
> Extra Modules used: none
> URL exhibiting problem:
>
> Symptoms:
> --
>  The httpd binary must be setuid-root in order to bind to port 80. In conf/httpd.conf
I have the lines  User www Group www  User "www" is a normal user on my system. However, I
can still access this file via the server:  -rw-------  1 root    bin   3828 Oct  3 19:07
doc.shtml  Shouldn't I not be allowed to read this since the httpd server is running as user
"www" ?  A "ps" listing shows two httpd processes both running as root. The Apache version
is 0.8.14.  Thanks for a great server!  -Archie

--
  Paul Richards, Netcraft Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)