httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@alpha.netcraft.co.uk>
Subject Re: Umm... The Contributor's page
Date Tue, 03 Oct 1995 15:13:40 GMT

> I don't have a big ego... I don't do porting so that my name gets on lists.

You must be one of a rare breed of computer hacker then :-)

> No matter how I phrase this, it's gonna sound petty and cheap, and I
> don't want to sound that way. I guess it for reasons like this that some
> people don't like the whole idea of contributor lists in the 1st place.

Precisely and not just because things can be incorrectly attributed but
because the people who get incorrectly attributed have the embarrassment
like yourself of having to get the thing corrected.

I've always said a simple list of contributers is enough, particularly
for general patch contributers. If it's felt a small group of individuals
should stand out then list them separately, something like

The following have made significant and/or substancial contributions to
the Apache project.
..

The following have contributed to the project.

(the rest of us)

>     Name:  Jim Jagielski
>     Email: jim@jaguNET.com
>     Company: jaguNET Access Services (above URL)
>     Occupation: ISP and Engineer
>     Location: Baltimore Maryland, USA
>     O/S Expertise: A/UX
>     Contributions: Main contributions have been in the support of
>      A/UX as an "official" Apache OS. Bug fixes include the weird A/UX
>      POST bug and preventing core dumps on read timeouts.

This level of detail is just silly. Only about 3 people have even bothered
filling in the details of what they've done, most submit the minimum
number of fields to just be attributed as being involved in some way.

--
  Paul Richards, Netcraft Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)