httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mark J Cox <M.J....@bradford.ac.uk>
Subject Re: multiple lines for a group in .htgroup bug (fwd)
Date Tue, 26 Sep 1995 08:23:25 GMT
On Mon, 25 Sep 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> I've seen this reported a few times now. Is there a good fix ?

Not really!  Having hundreds of entries in .htpasswd and .htgroup is very
inefficient.  On our system having only 100 entries in the password and
group files added over 1 second of server processing to each document
requested.  Suggest they use the DBM group/password (we have >9,000
entries with the Apache DBM code with no problems).

> > This was the format of our large .htgroup file from our previous NCSA httpd
> > 1.4. Since we had over 800 names, the server split up the names in lines of
> > twenty or so names.

Mark
Mark J Cox,  mark@telescope.org -- URL:http://www.telescope.org/mark.html
University of Bradford, England ---------- tel +44.1274.384070/fax 391333