httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: apache users' announcements list?
Date Thu, 14 Sep 1995 22:53:31 GMT
On Tue, 12 Sep 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> > Is there interest in creating a one-way distribution list for
> > announcements related to Apache: new releases, bug fixes, security
> > warnings, etc?  While I don't want to manage a general apache-users
> > public list on hyperreal, I would be willing to host an announcements
> > list, and can definitely see the utility of such a list.  The same
> > information should be simultaneously posted to c.i.w.s.u (so not
> > *everyone* feels compelled to join the users' list, just those without
> > reliable usenet feeds, etc).
>
> Didn't someone offer this to us a week or three ago. In fairness to the
> guy, I think we should see if he can do the above.

Since it looks like he wanted to make it a conversational list, which I
think is a bad idea, I think we should still do what I proposed.  It's
bad to start a mailing list and go on vacation, so I'll implement this
when I get back on the 28th.

> > p.s. - RobH, when you made 0.8.13 public, did you send out an
> > announcement + change history to the newsgroup?
>
> nope. I didn't realise we had a tradition of doing this for minor
> releases.

I think it would be good, for every release major and minor, to post a
short ditty with a list of all changes and fixes.  That way people can
see if any changes affect them or are interesting, and don't waste time
or bandwidth downloading it and unpacking just to read the CHANGES file.
It's a way to account for the rapid releases, too.

> If someone else wants to do it, feel free, but with the NeXT compilation
> problem it might be best to just let the masses find it. There's already
> been a thread with the subject 0.8.13 in it; that's usually enough to
> send the devoted towards apache.org

Let's do it for 0.8.14.

	Brian