httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: coordinator
Date Wed, 13 Sep 1995 22:18:09 GMT
On Wed, 13 Sep 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> Oh, you're a trouble maker Roy   :-)
>
> > However, I still want someone with a verifiable build environment
>                                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>                                                    eh ?
>
> > and detailed knowledge of the code to be the version builder.
>       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>     well that excludes 90% of us (including me)
>

> don't you mean you want someone who knows how to use patch, tar, gzip
> and FTP ?
>
> I have confidence in everyone writing to this list that they can build
> a new release. After all, the release builder isn't allowed to alter
> anything; only apply patches.
> Or am I missing something ?

Well, someone in the chain of events should be the sanity checker - just
because someone can write a patch, and that patch works in the context of
the bug it was meant to fix, does not mean that it's the cleanest way to
do things, or that it doesn't conflict with other patches or even go
against the code philosophy.  This could be done at patch-collection
time - it is crucial after all to know if two patches on the same ballot
conflict.  It definitely has to be done by release build time - and if
approved patches do conflict, they need to be resolved, and I
don't worry about autocracy at that point.  If that means the patches
need to be slightly altered, that's fine with me.

My thoughts.

	Brian