httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: coordinator
Date Mon, 11 Sep 1995 22:29:48 GMT
On Mon, 11 Sep 1995, Aram W. Mirzadeh wrote:
> At 03:41 PM 9/11/95 MDT, you wrote:
> >
> >> Who's the patch coordinator for 0.8.13?
> >
> >it hasn't been discussed. You can volunteer if you want :-)
>
> Only if you tell me what I should be doing? >:->

A patch coordinator needs to

1) maintain the patch repository for that particular build

   a) make sure things are organized intelligently, with comments in
      the patches as to why the patch is needed

   b) monitor the mailing list and newsgroups for patches.

2) do a sanity check on the patches submitted first

   a) make sure they patch cleanly - if not, create a clean patch using
      diff -C3 which does not depend upon other patches

   b) make sure patch makes sense in the context of the architecture and
      the principles of cross-platform and least-astonishment

   c) do an initial test on the patch to make sure it does what it claims
      to do

   if any of these fail, ask the patch submitter to submit again.

3) when a sufficient number of patches have been submitted, close the
   patch submission for this round and leave two or so days for
   comments/testing of the various patches.  Then, create a ballot and
   send to the list - hold the vote open for a day or two, and then tally.
   finally, present results to the list and build the next release.

I may be missing something... Rob(s)? Roy?

	Brian