httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.com>
Subject Re: vote [Andrew Wilson <andrew@tees.elsevier.co.uk>] (fwd)
Date Tue, 05 Sep 1995 21:50:31 GMT

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 95 17:29:11 BST
From: Andrew Wilson <andrew@tees.elsevier.co.uk>
To: new-httpd@hyperreal.com
Subject: Re: vote

> 1) Patch file is good
> 2) Compiled nicely.
> 3) No ill-effects
> 4) Tested to my best ability
> 5) httpd loaded fine, with no errors.

Please note that (5) is NOT a good test of the software's quality.  Apache
doesn't check a lot of system call return values and doesn't even tell you
that it couldn't open pid files etc.  This week I've been 'lucky' enough to
have had to convert my tried and tested web development environment to Solaris
2.4.  I tripped up setting some file perms and Apache gagged - silently.  This
sucks immeasurably.  I *know* what I'm doing, god knows how a 1st timer would
cope with that.

Ay.  venting steam

     Andrew Wilson	     URL: http://www.cm.cf.ac.uk/User/Andrew.Wilson/
Elsevier Science, Oxford   Office: +44 01865 843155    Mobile: +44 0589 616144