httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <>
Subject Re: votes
Date Thu, 28 Sep 1995 10:05:46 GMT
> On Thu, 28 Sep 1995, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > Does this mean that we shouldn't bother to document it?
> > Why allow an "incorrect" format, rather than emitting an error message?
> Having a group file containing ":group" isn't obvious.  It isn't what is
> done elsewhere and it was a slight fiddle to allow the group and password
> DBM files to overlap.  Having the group file containing "group" was how I
> was about to document it;  with ":group" being a mentioned alternative only
> for people that are going to overlap the files.
> But you are right, it is a feature enhancement patch.  It just seemed a
> bit silly adding an error message patch for the 0.8.14 and then
> removing the error message and allowing the new format for 1.0; especially
> since the patch for the latter is so trivial.

I'm not religious about the feature enhancement thing. Your method probably
disturbs the code less. What was, and is, worrying me, was that the change
makes something already almost incomprehensible (because of lack of
documentation) completely arcane. So, provide some docs, and I'll be happy.

and Technical Director      Email:
A.L. Digital Ltd,
London, England.

View raw message