httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "can't retrieve real document if error doc is newer" on BSDI (fwd)
Date Fri, 22 Sep 1995 17:09:25 GMT

> I think the following can be fixed by discarding IMS when redirecting
> to an ErrorDocument...

I don't think so, what seems to be happening is that Netscape is cacheing the
error document as the image for another URL, so when that _other_ URL is
called again, Netscape offers up the cached image. The correct procedure
would be as he suggests: either send a no-cache pragma, or a very short
expiry. Unfortunately, this may not work either, as Netscape seems to be
brain-damaged about both cache expiry and no-cache pragma (at least, some
experiments I have done with client pull have required me to disable Netscape's
cache to see updates).

On second thoughts, a short expiry is also wrong. It needs to be an expiry
that is before the date of the real document. But it might as well be a
no-cache, in that case.

> Ack sent to submitter.

BTW - what's this       ^^^^ ?

> > URL exhibiting problem: http://www.govcon.com/information/events.html
> >
> > Symptoms:
> > --
> > Given:  ErrorDocument 403 /members-only.html  if the document members-only.html
is newer than the document which caused the error, you can no longer retrieve the original
document even when the error is corrected, if your browser uses the "if-modified-since" request,
eg, Netscape.  To see the error in action, visit the URL below while running Netscape Navigator.
 When it asks for user ID, just hit "cancel" and you will be presented with the members-only.html
document.  However, the client still thinks this is the original document name.  Now, open
that URL again.  You will not be asked for an ID at all but dropped right into the error document.
 I believe that any error document shipped out should either have a very short Expires header,
or should have a no-cache pragma so that the browsers don't cache the files.  To see the actual
file, use the User ID "guest" and the password "guest". Visit the directory URL (without the
"events.html" file name to see the whole directory!
>  . !
> >  You will then be asked for the user ID and password.  From there, scoll down and
click on "upcoming events".  Even though you are authenticated now, you will not get the real
document, but the error document.  There is no way short of purging your entire cache to get
at the real document.
> > --
> >
> > Backtrace:
> > --
> >
> > --

and Technical Director      Email: ben@algroup.co.uk (preferred)
A.L. Digital Ltd,                  benl@fear.demon.co.uk (backup)
London, England.

[Note for the paranoid: "fear" as in "Fear and Loathing
in Las Vegas", "demon" as in Demon Internet Services, a
commercial Internet access provider.]