httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "can't retrieve real document if error doc is newer" on BSDI (fwd)
Date Fri, 22 Sep 1995 12:07:16 GMT

>   Hmm, thinking about it, it seems that to be really safe, all internal
>   redirects need to stop caching. I don't know what the best solution is,
>   but candidates are;
>
> I don't think *all* internal redirects need to stop caching,

in the context of being "really safe" they might.

the problem as I see it is that it's possible to reach a point after
however many internal redirects where a "Last-modified" is created, but
any of the intermediate URLs could have a 1 to many redirect mapping. If
the IMS gets passed down the chain of redirects then there's always a
chance that a "new" response with an older "Last-modified" date is
to be returned. In these cases, Apache won't send the "new" response.

> but error redirects clearly should. In fact, I thought they already did (die()
> sets r->no_cache before calling internal_redirect, which certainly should
> be copying the no_cache state of the original request onto the new one).

they don't if the bug-report is accurate. I haven't attempted to verify it.

rob