httpd-dev mailing list archives

From efr...@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Beth Frank)
Subject Re: New license
Date Fri, 15 Sep 1995 21:47:28 GMT
>  * 4. The name of the contributors may not be used to endorse or promote
             ^ names ?
>  *    products derived from this software without specific prior written
>  *    permission.
<snip>
> I'm not going to change the license and copyright on code that
> clearly isn't mine and I've got no idea who did what. For the NCSA
> code, either it stays in the public domain and any Apache patches
> go into the public domain with it, or Rob McCool steps forward and
> claims copyright on the bits he wrote, or someone claims them as
> derivative works and places a copyright on it.
>

> --
>   Paul Richards, Netcraft Ltd.
>   Internet: paul@netcraft.co.uk, http://www.netcraft.co.uk
>   Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)

Rob can't claim copyright on it because
	1. He was paid by the Univ. of IL to produce the code, so
		if anyone owns the copyright, it's the U of I
		board of trustees.  (I think it falls under the
		general employment contract.)

	2. U of I granted it to the public domain.  I couldn't find
		the 1.3 copyright, but here's the relevant portions
		of the 1.4 copyright with modifications for Apache.

Portions developed at the National Center for Supercomputing
Applications at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
This code is based on NCSA HTTPd 1.3 by Rob McCool.

This code is in the public domain. Specifically, we give to the public
domain all rights for future licensing of the source code, all resale
rights, and all publishing rights.

	The last three lines are only if you wish the code to remain
public domain.  Feel free to leave them out.

--
		Elizabeth(Beth) Frank
		NCSA Server Development Team