httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: -d | !-d ? <-
Date Fri, 15 Sep 1995 17:19:21 GMT

> I've come to this discussion rather late, so I'll sumarize and say I agree
> with Robert S. Thau and Rob Hartill.

That's nice. The question is, what did they say?  :-)

> What I really want to know is are you planning to change your configuration
> file formats?  I would like NCSA and Apache to stay in sync.

I have no problem with this, but I'm curious to know why?

>  Since 2.0 will
> not be a drop-in replacement anyway, I would not oppose a format modifications
> at that time.  We will be creating a number of scripts to convert 1.X style
> site to 2.0 formats.  This would just be one more, and we'd be willing to
> give Apache the conversion scripts for changing the old style configuration
> files to a new format.  Decisions about the new format would have to be
> made in the next 2 months, and after that they would be set in stone (except
> for additions) as far as NCSA was concerned.

Presumably the scripts would need modifying, since Apache is only upward
compatible with NCSA?

> Since you will allow original authors to keep the copyrights on their code,
> we could probably provide the new parser for the files also.
>
> So are you interested in coming up with a new and improved format for
> all the global configuration files?

Well, I am (but who am I, after all?). My first suggestion is that ServerRoot
(if it survives at all) should be changed to something more related to its
function, like ConfigurationRoot. But perhaps we should be thinking about more
dramatic changes?

What I'd really like to see is a not-necessarily-easily-readable format for
the configuration files with a nice user-friendly CGI script to edit them,
driven through your favourite NetBrowser. Or maybe built-in functionality
for the editting (for portability).

and Technical Director      Email: ben@algroup.co.uk (preferred)
A.L. Digital Ltd,                  benl@fear.demon.co.uk (backup)
London, England.

[Note for the paranoid: "fear" as in "Fear and Loathing
in Las Vegas", "demon" as in Demon Internet Services, a
commercial Internet access provider.]