httpd-dev mailing list archives

From efr...@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Beth Frank)
Subject Re: -d | !-d ? <-
Date Fri, 15 Sep 1995 16:54:08 GMT
I've come to this discussion rather late, so I'll sumarize and say I agree
with Robert S. Thau and Rob Hartill.

What I really want to know is are you planning to change your configuration
file formats?  I would like NCSA and Apache to stay in sync.  Since 2.0 will
not be a drop-in replacement anyway, I would not oppose a format modifications
at that time.  We will be creating a number of scripts to convert 1.X style
site to 2.0 formats.  This would just be one more, and we'd be willing to
give Apache the conversion scripts for changing the old style configuration
files to a new format.  Decisions about the new format would have to be
made in the next 2 months, and after that they would be set in stone (except
for additions) as far as NCSA was concerned.

Since you will allow original authors to keep the copyrights on their code,
we could probably provide the new parser for the files also.

So are you interested in coming up with a new and improved format for
all the global configuration files?

--
		Elizabeth(Beth) Frank
		NCSA Server Development Team