httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: bug in 0.8.13 (fwd)
Date Fri, 15 Sep 1995 08:53:32 GMT

> >> This is a BUG?  Oh please.  Just because someone can't equate a URL like
> >>
> >>   http://host///././///..//.//.../file.html

> >>   http://host/file.html
> >>
> >> does not make our server broken.
> >
> >I'm with you on that one. But the real question is, what does the spec say?
> >Come to that, where _is_ the spec? Which one are we supposed to be conforming
> >to?
>
> In this case, RFC 1808
>
>    [10] R. Fielding. "Relative Uniform Resource Locators." RFC 1808,
>         UC Irvine, June 1995. <http://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc1808.txt>

Umm. Actually, I think that RFC 1738 is the correct one. Relative URLs
can only be used within documents, can't they?

Anyway, I've perused it, and it doesn't help. There are almost no rules for
HTTP URLs, though, by inference from the FTP rules, there is no need to
handle . or .. or any more than one / between components.

and Technical Director      Email: ben@algroup.co.uk (preferred)
A.L. Digital Ltd,                  benl@fear.demon.co.uk (backup)
London, England.

[Note for the paranoid: "fear" as in "Fear and Loathing
in Las Vegas", "demon" as in Demon Internet Services, a
commercial Internet access provider.]